Trampolines are a good way for babies to have fun while also developing coordination. When it comes to baby toys, safe use of the equipment is an important factor that should always be considered. Buying a baby trampoline is a great way to keep your kids active and exercising. However, the secret to choosing the best out of your trampoline is choosing a trampoline with the best size and features. To learn more about baby trampoline exercise you can check out our mini-trampoline exercise for kids.
What to consider when buying a baby trampoline
Here are the considerations to make to find a good trampoline for babies:
When it comes to baby trampolines, safety is a priority. Since the likelihood of injury is high, it is required that parents pay adequate attention to the safety aspect of trampolines. All trampolines with springs should b covered with a net or pads to make jumping safe. A safe baby trampoline should have a net enclosure to help prevent infants from jumping out of the area. A soft edge design should be preferred over hard edges. The trampoline should meet the current safety standard
Another important factor to consider is your home space. A way to know what trampoline to get is by measuring your yard and finding out the amount of plain space available to mount the trampoline. You need to ensure that you have enough space free of branches or other items for mounting the trampoline.
The space should be flat and even, we advise that the trampoline should be placed on the leveled ground to prevent babies from slipping over. Clean and free from branches or any garden obstacle. Of a reasonable height of up to 5.5m above the ground level
The type of baby trampoline model is another critical factor to consider. Two models are currently available in the market – The Springless trampoline and the traditional spring-based trampoline. The spring-based trampoline is designed with springs to propel your kids through a height while the springless models make use of flexible composite rods underneath the jumping surface.
The baby trampoline comes in a range of shapes. Some trampolines are oval, some are round while others are rectangular. The choice of what shape of baby trampoline to go for is mostly dependent on the number of kids that you have.
- Round-shaped trampolines are designed in such a way that they tend to propel the user towards the centre of the trampoline. This makes them suitable for fun trampoline games. If you have just one kid this type is suitable for you. If you have more than one kid, consider going for other models of trampoline to avoid clashes with multiple jumpers.
- The oval-shaped trampoline has a large area to accommodate multiple jumpers. It affords a larger space for jumping and is recommended for multiple jumpers.
- The square-shaped trampoline offers a jumping surface with multiple springs that are positioned separately. In that way, u will be able to maintain your position on the trampoline. There will be enough space for everyone and they will not be pushed towards the middle
- Rectangular trampolines afford the largest playing area for babies and keep them bouncing in place. If you have quite some kids in the house, we recommend going for baby trampolines with rectangular shapes.
How to ensure safe use of baby trampoline
If you are getting your kid a trampoline, here are some precautionary measures to follow to ensure their safety:
- Place home trampoline at ground level. No matter how large your outdoor space is, ensure that you do not place the trampoline on a sloppy level to prevent your kids from jumping out of position.
- Use Enclosures. You can install a trampoline enclosure in form of a safety net and pads. The net surrounds the trampoline and helps to catch your baby in case they are jumping off. The trampoline frame is usually made from metals and should be covered using safety pads to prevent contact injuries.
- Limit trampoline activity. It is important to reduce the amount of time that your baby spends on the trampoline to the barest minimum. This would drastically reduce the risk of injuries that can happen. If you have a smaller trampoline, only allow one child at a time.
- Don’t allow trampoline jumping without supervision. Ensure your kids are well-supervised every time they go on the trampoline.
- Constantly give instructions on how the trampoline should be used for safety. If you have any issue with your trampoline, you may engage it with the right tool and instructional manual. You can also see our article on dismantling a trampoline: A step-by-step guide.
Are trampolines dangerous?
Trampolines are one of the most common sources of household injuries. Just like many products, trampoline comes with some degree of injuries and damage. Children can sometimes fall off or hit the metal bars on the side of the trampoline. Therefore, it is advisable to only allow kids between the ages of 5 and 12 to use the trampoline. Care should also be taken to consider the purchase of only baby trampolines with safe designs.
Can a 1-year-old go on a trampoline?
Yes, Babies of just a year old can go on a trampoline without any issue. A modern mini trampoline that features a small construction size is available in the market. Though trampoline jumping can be fun for a 1-year-old, it is extremely dangerous and should only be allowed under adequate supervision. Every parent should ensure that they remove and store trampolines intended for 1 year old whenever it is not in use,
How to clean your baby’s trampoline
To clean a trampoline, you need to first dismantle the extra connected parts where applicable such as the nets. Use a broom to thoroughly brush off any dirt or debris on the surface of the mat. Soak up a sponge or soft cloth in a bucket of soapy water. Use a soft cloth to wipe down the mat to eliminate every dirt. Wipe the handle, padded bars, and every other part of the trampoline as well. Use a garden hose with clean water to rinse off the trampoline.